Join Us for a Host of Fun Filled Activities in Observance of National Opera Week!
National Opera Week celebrates the vibrancy of opera in America today, and brings the inventiveness and excitement of opera to a national audience. The strength and diversity of established opera companies, community opera ensembles and opera training programs across the United States will be shared through free, dynamic activities designed to engage novices, opera lovers and everyone in between.
Florida Grand Opera’s free online activities for the week include:
- #Opera101 Twitter Campaign - Follow FGO (@FGOpera) on Twitter using the hashtag #Opera101 as we explore lesser known facts about opera and share behind-the-scenes exclusives.
- Opera-ween Costume Contest - Visit the FGO Facebook page today and submit a photo of an opera-related costume for a chance to win an FGO VIP package. Contest closes Nov. 4.
- OperaTeen Twitter Chat - Join teen blogger OperaTeen and the members of FGO’s Teen Council for a Twitter Chat on Oct. 30 at 5:30 p.m. using the hashtag #OperaTeen2Teen. We’ll be discussing opera, teen involvement, and the art of blogging.
- In-School Informance - FGO’s In-School Informance program brings singers into the classroom to interact with local students For the first time, an Informance will be broadcast by WPBT’s uVu channel.
- FGO Podcast Launch, iTunes - FGO joins iTunes by offering a free podcast featuring resident opera experts and staff members. Look for the launch of the first episode on Nov. 3.
Queen of Soul Loves Opera
OPERA America and participating organizations are thrilled to announce legendary artist and opera lover ARETHA FRANKLIN as the program’s Honorary Chairwoman. “I may be known as the Queen of Soul, but I love opera, which is why I’m delighted to be the Honorary Chairwoman of National Opera Week,” declared Franklin. “It would be wonderful to see more people involved in classical music. It truly is enriching.”
Click here for a brief welcome statement from Ms. Franklin.